|Job Title:||Compliance Manager||Job Category:||Year Round|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt - Administrative||Position Type:||Full time|
|Reports To:||Chief Executive Officer (CEO)||Supervises:|
|Normal Schedule:||Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm/ remote work a couple days a week might be available.|
The Big Sky Chamber of Commerce, established in 1986, is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit membership organization representing 450+ members businesses and their thousands of employees from throughout Gallatin and Madison Counties, Montana and the U.S. Dedicated to helping Big Sky evolve from a tourist destination to a sustainable community, the Big Sky Chamber serving as the VOICE of business, CHAMPIONS a healthy economy and works collaboratively with community stakeholders as a CONVENER and a CATALYST to improve the overall quality of life in the region. Elevate Big Sky 2023, the Big Sky Chamber’s Strategic Plan, highlights its focus on 1) Advocating for its Membership and the Big Sky community, 2) Working to Create a Positive Business Climate in the greater Gallatin Valley, 3) Encouraging Community Infrastructure Investment, and 4) Facilitating Local Governance for Big Sky, an unincorporated, census-designated place straddling two counties with seven special districts, 80+ Home Owners’ Associations and a myriad of Nonprofit Organizations. The Big Sky Chamber’s FY21 annual operating budget is $1.05 million: $650,000 for its own operations from private membership support and public funding from the Big Sky Resort Tax Board as the organization continues to serve not only member businesses, but the Big Sky community at-large, and $400,00 received for a Management Fee from Visit Big Sky (VBS) and the Big Sky Convention & Visitor Bureau (CVB). For more information visit www.bigskychamber.com.
The Compliance Manager is part of the Big Sky Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership team under direct supervision of the CEO. The Compliance Manager will be responsible for ensuring the organizational effectiveness of the Big Sky Chamber. This will include managing all finances and accounting for the Big Sky Chamber, VBS, and the Big Sky CVB, human resources, grant compliance and risk management, along with organizational policies and procedures to meet the organization’s mission. This position will represent the Big Sky Chamber of Commerce to diverse constituents and is responsible for helping to develop strong internal teamwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES | RESPONSIBILITIES, TASKS AND DUTIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform these essential duties satisfactorily:
Financial Management (50%)
- Oversee all general accounting for the Big Sky Chamber, VBS and the Big Sky CVB, including, invoicing, deposits, accounts payable, payroll, taxes, reconciliation and journal entries in accordance with GAAP to present proper accrual reporting of financial statements to CEO and two Boards of Directors.
- Submit and track all BSRAD Resort Tax funding requests, Montana Office of Tourism and Business Development (MOTBD) and Yellowstone Country grants, among others.
- Ensure effective means to process payments online and in person.
- Support CEO and the Boards’ Finance Committees to develop annual operating budgets.
- Lead the annual audit process in cooperation with independent auditors and MOTBD.
- Maintain all necessary financial records in accordance with the document retention policy.
- Serve as team support, generating reports and information as requested.
- Create and maintain policies and procedures to ensure operational effectiveness including but not limited to, reimbursements, record keeping, office supplies, office scheduling and other general administrative tasks as necessary.
- Lead on-boarding of all personnel.
- Maintain all HR files and paperwork to meet state, federal and local requirements.
- Process background checks on required employees and volunteers.
- Track contractors annually ensuring they have all necessary paperwork and documents required.
- Support CEO to annually review insurance, personnel, volunteer and other risk management policies.
- Develop and maintain binder with all policies and procedures.
- Review contracts and ensure all paperwork is completed as necessary.
- Work with CEO to develop and adhere to annual administrative budget.
- Support Membership Director of Sales with membership dues collection.
- Support Programming & Events Manager with annual programs and events.
- Assist with keeping accurate contact lists and maintaining an updated ChamberMaster database.
- Participate in national and/or regional networks of professionals to ensure current financials, HR and risk management policies and procedures are being met.
- Participate in staff meetings and board meetings as needed, keeping colleagues and members apprised of issues as they arise.
- Assist CEO with Board and Committee responsibilities, including meeting preparation and long-range planning.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Opening/ closing the business – locking the doors, turning on/off the lights
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field; MBA preferred
· Combination of education and experience may be considered
· Must be able to work in a busy office environment with multiple conversations, printers
· Must be able to listen, hear and talk in the English language
· This position can be active at times and mainly requires employees to frequently sit for long periods of time in front of a computer
· Must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
knowledge: (body of information necessary to perform the job)
- Have 3-5 years in Financial Management
- Have 3-5 years’ experience leading others
- Have 2 or more years’ experience with Human Resources policies, procedures and Montana and Federal laws related to Human Resources
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Experience working with Chamber Master and tourism development preferred
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook and QuickBooks
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative leadership style
- Detail-orientated and deadline-focused working style
- Keen ability to look at situations from several points of view
- Have strong independent work ethic
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work within a team
- Language skills – capable of reading and writing the English language in a professional manner
· Problem-solving skills – discovering, analyzing and fixing issues that need attention
· Communication – capable of positive communication using verbal, written and body language
· Concentration – to work with accuracy, requiring minimal supervision while making appropriate decisions
· Leadership – ability to lead by example, including a team and/or department
· Teamwork – work with diverse individuals and fellow employees to accomplish company and personal goals