|Job Title:||BIG SKY CHAMBER Business Development Manager||Job Category:||Year Round|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt – Administrative||Position Type:||Full time|
|Pay Scale:||$40,000-$45,000 annual salary base, with an opportunity for commission sales up to $65,000-70,000|
|Normal Schedule:||Monday-Friday, with occasional meetings and events outside these hours. Local and in-state travel, with occasional out-of-state.|
The Business Development Manager position with the Big Sky Chamber will be responsible for generating $250,000 annually in private revenues for the organization via the continued development and implementation of a healthy and ever-expanding membership program, solicitation of program underwriting and event sponsorship opportunities, and publication/website ad sales in addition to implementing a high-touch stewardship program to ensure retention and renewals. This position works in partnership with the CEO, fellow TEAM Big Sky members, the Big Sky Chamber Board of Directors and volunteers including a Membership Committee and is a visible public face with significant community engagement activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES | RESPONSIBILITIES, TASKS AND DUTIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform these essential duties satisfactorily:
Expanding the Big Sky Chamber’s Membership Base
• Develop and implement an ambitious membership recruitment and retention plan to increase the number of Big Sky Chamber member businesses and to retain and upgrade existing members to grow the private funding base for the organization. Demonstrate volunteer management by engaging the CEO, fellow TEAM Big Sky staff members, the Board of Directors and its Membership Committee.
- Formulate a detailed prospect list to meet quarterly growth targets working in collaboration with TEAM Big Sky co-workers. The Big Sky Chamber is a membership organization, promoting membership is everyone’s responsibility.
• Create a member on-boarding and stewardship program to ensure every Big Sky Chamber member understands, fully leverages and values their membership.
• Survey the membership annually and evaluate membership benefits periodically to ensure they continue to meet the needs of local businesses and propose new benefits to expand the membership program as new needs arise.
• Handle operations related to the delivery of membership program benefits including initial application, thank you/renewal letters, content for bi-weekly member e-Newsletters, social media engagement, print collateral development and website maintenance working with the Big Sky Chamber Programming & Events Manager.
• Contribute to the planning and execution of membership-related events and programs, working with the Programming & Events Manager and Compliance Manager.
- Ensure all membership collateral and communications adhere to brand standards.
• Ensure proper membership billing and collection of account receivables working with the Compliance Manager.
Growing Non-Dues Revenue for the Big Sky Chamber
• Solicit business sponsorships, program underwriting and ad sales opportunities for the Big Sky Chamber’s annual programs, events and publications working with the CEO and Programming & Events Manager.
• Develop revenue goals and implement a strategy for fundraising and revenue growth, for the organization’s major annual events and publications: Black Diamond Business Awards Dinner, Golf Tournament, Eggs & Issues, Community Building Forum, Big Sky Economic Profile, Real Estate & Relocation Guide, etc.
• Identify other non-dues revenue opportunities to support the work of the organization by evaluating, comparing, making written suggestions and providing strategy on possible options to consider.
- Represent the Chamber on other applicable nonprofit community organization volunteer committees
- Participate in Chamber industry related conferences and events for professional development
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Opening/closing the business – locking the doors, turning on/off the light
- Answering the phone
- Greeting guests and welcoming travelers
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A four-year college degree is required
- Minimum of two years of direct sales and/or business development experience in a business to business environment is preferred; past Chamber experience desired
- Combination of education and experience may be considered
- Must be able to work in a moderately busy office environment with phones, multiple conversations happening, printers and various distractions
- Must be able to listen, hear and talk in the English language
- This position is somewhat active and requires employees to frequently sit for long periods of time in front of a computer and occasionally stand during events for a period of time
- Must be able to use a computer, phone, and standard office machines such as copier/scanner and or a fax machine to accomplish tasks on a daily basis
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
knowledge: (body of information necessary to perform the job)
- Consultative sales skills.
- Proficiency working with member/donor databases, specifically Chamber Master
- Desktop publishing experience with Adobe Suite and/or website design experience
Skills: (level of proficiency)
- Computer literacy with the ability to use PCs with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe products, cloud-based services and social media platforms. Desktop publishing experience with Adobe Suite and/or website design a plus.
- Language skills – capable of reading/writing the English language in a professional manner
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to effectively cultivate relationships with fellow staff, prospects, members, volunteers and community stakeholders
- Organized and excellent time management skills
- Multi-tasker; must be able to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must possess volunteer management skills
- Communication – capable of positive communication using verbal, written and body language
- Concentration – ability to work with accuracy, with minimal supervision and make appropriate decisions
- Goal-driven people person with an engaging “Chamber” personality.
- Must possess a strong work ethic, be self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Must possess the ability to foster the values of member relations and quality assurance in customer service
- Team player; this person must be able to build strong relationships with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders (Staff, Board of Directors, tourism industry partners, visitors, government entities, local businesses, and residents/2nd homeowners)
- Problem-solver; must be able to engage in critical thinking to access the situation and resolve issues at hand
- Keen ability to look at situations from several points of view